THE HAGUE, Netherlands – Former President Rodrigo Duterte has entered the Hague Penitentiary Institution or the Scheveningen Prison where he is set to be held while awaiting trial by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for alleged "crimes against humanity" in his administrations war on drugs.
Duterte was brought to The Hague Penitentiary Institution or the Scheveningen Prison at 7:34 p.m. (2:34 a.m. Philippine time) aboard a black vehicle.
Supporters who have gathered outside the prison chanted "We love Duterte" and "Bring him back" as the convoy entered the facility.
The plane bringing Duterte to the Netherlands landed at the Rotterdam The Hague airport at 4:54 p.m. (11:54 p.m. Philippine time).
The 79-year-old former leader was handed over to the ICC on Wednesday after it issued a warrant for his arrest over his deadly crackdown on drugs.
The ICC arrest warrant says that as president, Duterte created, funded, and armed the death squads that carried out murders of purported drug users and dealers.
"Mr Rodrigo Roa Duterte... was surrendered to the custody of the International Criminal Court," the ICC said in a statement.
"He was arrested by the authorities of the Republic of the Philippines in accordance with an arrest warrant issued... for charges of murder as a crime against humanity," it added.
He will be brought before an ICC judge in The Hague in the coming days for an initial appearance. He was transferred to a detention unit on the Dutch coast.
LOOK: Here is what the ICC detention center looks like
In a post on Facebook before landing in the Netherlands, Duterte said he was "okay."
"I think this has something to do with law and order before. I tell the police and the military to work and I will answer for you. So this is it," Duterte said in a mix of English and Tagalog in a video he said was taken as he was "about to land."
He said the flight came from Dubai, where his party had a layover.
"Okay ako. Do not worry," Duterte said.
The video was posted on the Rody Duterte Facebook page.
The Embassy of the Philippines in The Hague, meanwhile, said it provided consular assistance to Duterte.
"In view of the winter season in Europe, the Embassy prepared, procured and delivered winter clothing, change of clothes and care packages for the former President," the Embassy said in a statement.
Supporters
Supporters have gathered in front of the International Criminal Court, with some coming from different cities in the Netherlands and even nearby countries.
Elizabeth Prado, a Filipina living in Germany for 40 years, told GMA Integrated News that she came to The Hague to show her support for the former president.
“I wish the ICC to give him the right decision and bring him back to the Philippines,” Prado told GMA News
“For our kababayan who support his arrest, please stop blaming him,” she added.
Several Dutch who passed by the penitentiary watched the throngs of Filipinos who shouted “Send him [Duterte] home.”
Eighty-year-old Rein Willems, who previously worked in the Philippines as president of a multinational energy firm, was biking towards his flat and stopped by to ask about the protest.
Willems told GMA News he was “surprised” to hear the news that Duterte was “let go from the airport” and that “there was no support from the [Marcos] government.”
“I have sympathy for the man,” Willems said of Duterte, whom he met on a courtesy visit in the mid-1990s. “He was a tough guy but a disciplined man. The economy was quite well when he was president.”
When asked about the significance of Duterte arrest for Dutch society, Willems said the “average Dutch doesnt know whats going on” but “they will adjust” considering The Hague is a very international city, and that several high-profile individuals are already detained at the penitentiary.
“I am interested in how this case will develop,” Willems told GMA News.
Duterte was arrested on Tuesday on a warrant issued by the ICC in connection with the killings in his administrations war on drugs.
The plane taking him to The Hague left Manila on Tuesday night.
Duterte was accompanied on the flight by his former Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, a nurse, and a personal assistant.
VP Sara
Vice President Sara Duterte said she would seek access to her father who is now in The Hague, Netherlands.
Sara left Manila Wednesday morning on a flight bound for Amsterdam.
In an advisory released by the Office of the Vice President, Sara said she would meet with lawyers and seek access to her father on March 13 once she has settled in The Hague.
She added she would be available for media interviews the following day.
“Maraming salamat din sa lahat ng mga Pilipinong nagpaabot ng mga mensahe, suporta, at panalangin para kay PRRD, sa akin, at sa aming buong pamilya na ngayon ay nahaharap sa matinding pagsubok sa pulitika,” Sara said.
She also thanked the Filipinos in Dubai, U.A.E. who helped her and her father, former president Rodrigo Duterte, as they traveled to the Netherlands.
“Lubos ang aking pasasalamat sa mga kababayan nating nagtatrabaho sa Dubai International Airport at sa Al Maktoum International Airport na tumulong sa akin at kay PRRD,” she added.
Whats next?
Following Dutertes detention, the Pre-Trial Chamber will hold a hearing to confirm the identity of the suspect, ensure that the suspect understands the charges, and set a date to begin the confirmation of charges hearing.
"In the event of rejection, the decision is periodically reviewed by the competent chamber, at least every 120 days, and may be reviewed at any time at the request of the detained person or the Prosecution," it said.
At the close of the confirmation hearing, it said the Pre-Trial Chamber may:
-Decline to confirm the charges; such a decision does not prevent the Prosecution from presenting a subsequent request for confirmation of the charges on the basis of additional evidence;
-Adjourn the hearing and request the Prosecution to consider providing further evidence or conducting further investigation, or amending the charges;
-Confirm the charges and commit the case for trial; upon confirmation, the Presidency of the Court constitutes a Trial Chamber responsible for the subsequent phase of the proceedings: the trial.
“After the confirmation of charges, the Pre-Trial Chamber commits the case for trial before a Trial Chamber, which will conduct the subsequent phase of the proceedings: the trial,” it said.
The trial will take place in The Hague, unless otherwise decided.
The ICC said the accused must be present and the trial must be held in public, except when the Chambers decide otherwise in order to protect the safety of victims and witnesses or sensitive information.
The accused may then make an admission of guilty or plead not guilty.
If the accused pleads guilty, the Trial Chamber will consider the admission together with any additional evidence and may convict the accused.
However, if it is not satisfied, the Trial Chamber may consider the admission of guilt as not having been made and the trial will continue under ordinary procedures.
The trial will then take place, where the parties may submit evidence.
According to the international tribunal, the promulgation of the sentence will be made in public and if possible, in the presence of the accused, victims, or their legal representatives.
|